Barbara Doran is based in St. John’s, Newfoundland and has been writing, directing, and producing international films and television for the past thirty five years. She is internationally recognized for specializing in documentary and drama productions, including the Gemini winning mini-series “Random Passage” and most recently the box office hit, “The Grand Seduction”, starring Brendan Gleeson and Taylor Kitsch now in worldwide distribution.
Some of the Barbara’s most recent productions include Newfoundland At Armageddon, a story of slaughter at Beaumont Hamel which aired as a two-hour Special Presentation on the CBC in English and French on the anniversary of Beaumont Hamel. Other films now in distribution include: “Love & Savagery”, directed by John N. Smith, a co-production with Kevin Tierney of Parkex Pictures (Good Cop, Bad Cop); Mary Walsh’s “Young Triffie” a co-production with Cinemaginaire (The Barbarian Invasions). In post-production, a feature film directed by Justin Simms and starring Shawn Doyle and Jason Priestly was released in January 2015. On the documentary front we developed a feature documentary, “Moonshine” (the liquid kind), and a documentary co-production with Germany on Ellesmere Island’s “White Wolves”.
- Producer: The Grand Seduction, director Don McKellar – feature co-production QUE/NL (2014)
- Writer/Director/Producer: Phantoms on the French Shore, director Barbara Doran, CBC documentary co-production NL/ONT (2013)
- Producer/Field Director: Life Below Zero: director, Josh Freed, Cbc documentary co-production QUE/NL(2011)
- Producer/Field Director: Where Did I Put My Memory?: director, Josh Freed, CBC documentary co-production QUE/NL (2010)
- Producer: Love and Savagery, director John N. Smith feature co-production: QUE/NL (2009)
- Writer/Producer/Director: Still Rowdy After All These Years, a biography on Gordon Pinsent, Bravo documentary (2009)
- Writer/Director/Producer: Playing the Machines, documentary CBC (2009)
- Writer/Director/Producer: To Dublin with Love, documentary BRAVO! (2008)
- Producer: Young Triffie’s Been Made Away With – a feature comedy directed by Mary Walsh, a QUE/NL co-production (2007)
- Writer/Director/Producer: Keeping up with Cathy Jones – documentary CBC(2006)
- Writer/Director/Producer: Hard Rock and Water – documentary CBC (2005)
- Writer/Director/Producer: The Invisible Machine – documentary CTV/Discovery(2004)
- Producer: Random Passage – an eight period drama series, a NL/QUE/IRELAND international co-production CBC(2002)
- Writer/Director/Producer: When Women Kill – documentary CBC/NFB (199
The Grand Seduction
The Grand Seduction is directed by Canadian actor-filmmaker Don McKellar (of Childstar, Last Night) from a script by Michael Dowse and Ken Scott, based on the film Seducing Doctor Lewis. When unlikely candidate and big city doctor Paul Lewis (Taylor Kitsch) lands in their lap for a trial residence, the townsfolk of a small fishing village rally together to charm him into staying in order to help them secure a lucrative business contract. As the doctor’s time in the village winds to a close, acting mayor Murray French (Brendan Gleeson) has no choice but to pull out all the stops and begin The Grand Seduction. The film premiered at Toronto International Film Festival and is now in worldwide distribution.
Newfoundland at Armageddon
Love and Savagery
Phantoms of the French Shore
Newfoundland at Armageddon documentary ‘not an easy story to tell’
Interview with Katie Uhlmann at TIFF
NLOWE 2014 Export Award Winner
About the Grand Seduction at the European Film Market
FWC talks with Barbara Doran about her producing career and women in film
FWC – Barbara Doran — The Grand Seduction
The following is a selection of press articles in PDF format.
- No surprises here— N.L. artists recognized at Canadian Screen Awards (The Telegram)
- Embracing Winter (The News)
- Newfoundland at Armageddon documentary ‘not an easy story to tell’ (CBC)
- Spring convocation will honour 10 distinguished individuals (Memorial University)
- Reeling Him In
- Barbara Doran answers 20 Questions
- Young Triffie (The Telegram)
- Young Triffie (Newfoundland Quarterly)
- Keeping Up With Cathy Jones (TV Preview)
- Keeping Up With Cathy Jones (Toronto Star)
- The Man Who Studies Murder (Chronicle-Herald/Mail-Star)
- Joey Smallwood (The Newfoundland Herald)
- Ho! Kanada : cover / story (Montreal Mirror)
- When Women Kill (Montreal Gazette)
Email: [email protected]
© Copyright Barbara Doran 2022
One response to “Barbara Doran”
Hi, this is a comment.
To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.